Chromebooks have gained popularity over the years, thanks to their affordable prices, portability, and user-friendly interface. However, they do come with some limitations, especially when it comes to installing software that isn’t available on the Chrome OS. That’s where Linux comes in. Linux is an open-source operating system that you can install on your Chromebook to expand its capabilities.
To install Linux apps on your Chromebook, you have to use the Terminal. The Terminal on the Chromebook is a productivity-focused tool. It is the access point to the Linux Development Environment on your ChromeOS. But to use the Linux terminal on your Chromebook, you have to install Linux on your device. Here is a complete guide on; how to open the Linux Terminal on a Chromebook. We will also discuss how to customize the Terminal appearance and behavior.
1. Update your Linux environment: Keep your Linux environment up to date by running the following commands in the Terminal:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
2. Install additional software: Use the package manager (apt) to install additional software. For example, to install the VLC Media Player, run:
sudo apt install vlc
How to Customize the Linux Terminal
Now, if you want to customize the appearance and behavior of the Linux Terminal, you can follow the following steps:
1. Open the Terminal app.
2. After that, click on Terminal Settings to access the customization option.
3. A new window will appear. To change the terminal theme, background color, text color and style, and other settings, select Appearance from the menu.
4. Here, you’ll get all the options and settings to change the appearance of the Terminal.
Note: Play with the terminal settings option to customize the terminal to your liking on your Chromebook.
Opening the Linux Terminal on your Chromebook can be a game-changer for users seeking more control over their computing experience. By following the simple steps outlined in this guide, you can unlock the power of the command line and explore the world of Linux on your Chromebook. Whether you’re a developer, a system administrator, or just a curious user, the Linux Terminal opens up a realm of possibilities for customization and productivity on your Chromebook.
That’s it; this is how you can open the Linux Terminal on your Chromebook. You can also check our guide on how to use the Linux Terminal to install Linux apps on your Chromebook. I hope this Chromebook guide was helpful to you. Moreover, if you have some suggestions, do not hesitate to leave them in the comments section. We are always there to assist you.