If you bought a new Chromebook and are confused about the process of setting it up, you can follow the guide till the end. We will discuss setting up a new Chromebook out of the box in no time.
The Chromebook is a robust machine that runs on ChromeOS. It is an operating system developed by Google. So, to use the Chromebook, you need to have a Google account. Do you know that Google also offers some perks to its Chromebook users? Check out our guide to claim your Chromebook perks.
Table of Contents
How to Set up Your New Chromebook
Before we begin, ensure that your Chromebook has a full battery. If your Chromebook currently has a low charge, it’s advisable to connect it to a power outlet. Additionally, make sure you either have a Google account or create a new Google account.
After that, follow the following steps to get your new Chromebook up and running in no time:
1. Power on your Chromebook.
2. You will get this window when you boot up your Chromebook for the first time. That says, ‘Welcome to your Chromebox or Chromebook.’ Click on the Get Started button to configure your Chromebook.
Note: If you want to change your language and accessibility, you can do so by clicking on the options.
3. After that, you need to connect your Chromebook to a network. Select the network name, enter the network password then connect to the network.
4. Read the Google Terms of Service and click on the Accept and Continue button.
5. On the next screen, you must Sign in with our Google account.
6. Here, enter your email address and password associated with the Google account.
7. Once done, a window will appear on your screen, and it will take you through the installation of the Google Play Store on your Chromebook if your Chromebook supports Google Play Store.
8. You must accept the Google Play Terms of Service here. For that, click on the Accept button.
9. Once you have set up and accepted all the Google terms and services, you will get the welcome screen.
10. After that, you are ready to use the Chromebook.
That concludes the initial setup of your Chromebook, but there are quite a few more options and settings to explore, such as updating the ChromeOS and Android apps. So, don’t worry; we have you covered.
Update your Chromebook
After you have configured your Chromebook, there are other things to do. Like updating the Android application and updating your Chromebook to the latest version of ChromeOS. Let us discuss them one by one.
1. Update ChromeOS
Out of the box, Chromebooks do not come with the latest version of ChromeOS installed. To get the most recent version on your Chromebook, you must manually update it.
For that, follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Click on the App Launcher icon and open the Settings application.
2. A Settings window will appear. Here, on the left, select the About ChromeOS tab.
3. Finally, Click the Check for Updates button to check for the latest Chrome OS update and security update.
4. If any new update is available, it will automatically download and install it on your Chromebook.
5. After your update process is completed, click on Restart to finish the update, and wait for the reboot process to complete.
Chromebooks come with some Android apps pre-installed, and these need updates. Here’s the second set of steps you can run through to get these apps updated if they’re not updating automatically already.
1. Click the App Launcher icon and open the Google Play Store to update the outdated applications.
2. It will open the Google Play Store. Here, click on your profile icon and click on the Manage Apps & Device option.
3. Click the Manage tab and click the Check for Update option to download the available updates.
After updating the current apps, you can look for new apps. Simply click the back button or close it and reopen the Google Play Store application. Then, type the name of the app you’re looking for in the search box at the top. It will automatically install and add to your ChromeOS launcher.
That’s it! You can set up your new Chromebook effortlessly, completing it in a few simple steps. Just follow the steps outlined in this guide.
Now, you are all set to use your Chromebook. With its fast performance, cloud integration, and user-friendly interface, Chromebook is designed to make your computing journey enjoyable and productive.