A Chromebook is a powerful and easy-to-use machine that runs on Chrome OS, an operating system developed by Google. You can do most of your work using a browser, which requires an internet connection. Therefore, it is crucial to update your Chromebook to keep your device safe and secure.
To ensure the safety and security of your Chromebook, software updates are crucial. These updates provide bug fixes, performance improvements, and the most recent security patches, resulting in seamless device operation. Additionally, it is important to update Linux and Android apps, as the latest Chromebooks support them.
Table of Contents
How to Update Your Chromebook
When you update a Chromebook, you also update the Google Chrome browser. Here is a complete step-by-step guide on how to update your Chrome OS, Linux, and Android apps to the latest version.
By default, Chromebooks automatically check for the latest update and install it in the background. However, sometimes it may have issues. You can manually check for the update and install it when you want without affecting your workflow.
To check for and install the updates manually, you can follow the below methods:
1. Update Chrome OS on Your Chromebook
First, let’s discuss how you can update the Chromebook to the latest version of ChromeOS, as it is the main component of the device.
To do so, you can simply follow these straightforward steps:
1. Click on the App Launcher icon on your device, look for Settings, and open it.
2. Alternatively, you can also open Settings from the Quick Settings panel.
3. It will open the Settings window on the left pane; select the About ChromeOS tab.
4. Here you will find all the information about your Chrome OS, like which version of the Chrome operating system you are using on your Chromebook and more.
5. Click the Check for Updates button to check for the latest Chrome OS update and security update.
6. Here, you can also check for firmware updates.
7. If a new update is available, it will automatically download and install it on your Chromebook. The update process may take time; wait for the update to complete.
8. After your update process is completed, Click on the Restart button to finish the update and wait for the reboot process to complete.
Once the reboot is complete, you can use your Chromebook with new updates and features.
So, it is also important to run the latest version of Linux on your Chromebook. Here are the steps you can follow:
1. Launch the App Launcher app.
2. Now, look for a Linux apps folder. Open it and access the Terminal app from the app launcher.
3. The Terminal will open. Here, run the following command to update all the packages and dependencies:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
Note: If you are getting the “dpkg was interrupted” error, you must manually run ‘sudo dpkg --configure -a‘ to correct the problem.
4. After updating packages, you can also update the Linux distribution to the latest version by running the following command:
sudo apt dist-upgrade -y
5. Once the update process is complete, you can check the current Linux version on your Chromebook. For that, run this command:
3. Update Android Apps on Your Chromebook
The latest Chromebooks also support Android apps through Google Play, and some Android apps come pre-installed. So, it is equally important to update Android apps to ensure smooth performance on Chromebooks.
Here are the steps to update the Android apps:
1. Open the App Launcher.
2. Open the Google Play Store from the app launcher. Using it, you can update outdated applications and keep your Chromebook up-to-date.
3. Click on your profile icon and select the Manage Apps & Device option.
4. Next, click on the Manage tab and select the Check for Updates option to download all the available updates.
That’s it! This is how you can update your Chromebook. By following the above-outlined methods, you can easily update your ChromeOS, Android, and Linux to the latest version.
However, if you are wondering how to update the Google Chrome browser, let me tell you that the Chrome browser is a part of ChromeOS. So, when you update ChromeOS, it will also update the Chrome browser to the latest version.