The Chromebook from Google is one of the revolutionary products today. One of its intriguing features is Linux support. You can install Linux apps on your Chromebook. However, to install Linux apps, you don’t have any proper Linux App Store installed on your Chromebook.
Fortunately, you can install it yourself. Here is a complete guide on how to install Flatpak on a Chromebook. Flatpak is renowned for its massive app repository for Linux systems. Unlike the Snap Store, you don’t need to install any dependencies. Before you install Flatpak, you need to enable the Linux development environment and then follow the guide. So, let’s dive in.
Table of Contents
How to Install Flatpak on Chromebook
If you’re unsure why you need Flatpak, it contains a unique collection of necessary packages and sandboxing tools. Therefore, if you have it installed, you can access several helpful applications that are not included by default on your Chromebook. Now, let us learn how to install Flatpak.
1. Open the Linux terminal by clicking on the App Launcher icon. Look for the Linux app folder, and click on the Terminal icon to open it.
2. Now you need to run the following terminal commands one by one:
Following the above steps, you can install the Flatpak package manager on your Chromebook. However, if you want to install the app’s graphical user interface (GUI), you can follow the method below.
How to Install Flatpak GUI on a Chromebook
You can also install the GUI version of Flatpak on your Chromebook. Using the graphical user interface of the app, you can easily find, install, and manage Linux apps on Chrome OS without relying on terminal commands.
To do so, open the Linux terminal and run the below-mentioned command:
sudo apt install gnome-software-plugin-flatpak
How to Install Linux App Using Flatpak
Now, let’s discuss how we can install a Linux app on Chromebook from the Flatpak repository. There are two ways, one is by using the GUI of the app, and another one is by using the Linux terminal. Let’s discuss them one by one:
1. Using the Flatpak GUI
To install a Linux app using the GUI, follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Click on the App Launcher icon to open the app drawer.
2. Here, locate the Linux apps folder. Then click on the Software icon to open the Flatpak graphical user interface. Now you should get a fully functioning GUI store for Linux apps.
3. Now search for the Linux application you want to install. Once you found the application, click on the Install button to download and install it.
2. Using the Terminal
Sometimes the GUI app does not work properly; you can use the Terminal to install Linux apps on your Chromebook.
For that, follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Open Flathub on your browser and discover the Linux apps you want to install. At the bottom, you will find the terminal command to install and run the app.
2. Open the Linux terminal and paste the terminal command you have copied.
3. Then press the [Enter] key to run the command. For instance, if I want to install opera, run this command:
flatpak install flathub com.opera.Opera
That’s it; this is how you can install Flatpak and install Linux applications on your Chromebook.
You’ve successfully transformed your Chromebook into a Linux-capable powerhouse by following our straightforward guide on installing Flatpak. Now equipped with an extensive range of Linux apps, your Chromebook’s capabilities have expanded.