Chromebooks come with the Google Chrome browser as the default option, providing a secure and efficient computing experience. However, if you want to try out different browsers, Opera is a great choice. It is known for its speed, security features, and built-in tools.
If you’re a Chromebook user and interested in installing Opera, you’re in luck! In this guide, we will take you through the simple steps to download and install Opera on your Chromebook, making the process effortless.
Many modern Chromebooks have the ability to run Android apps, which means you can download and install apps from the Google Play Store. To get started, make sure your Chromebook is connected to the internet and that Google Play Store support is turned on.
Once that’s done, you can use the following methods to download and install the Opera browser on your Chromebook.
1. From the Official Website
Opera has an official website from which you can download the Opera installer file for various operating systems, including Chrome OS. To install Opera from the official website on your Chromebook, follow these steps:
1. Open the Chrome browser on your Chromebook.
2. Go to the official Opera website by typing https://www.opera.com into the address bar and pressing Enter.
3. Once on the Opera website, locate the Download button. Here, you will find Opera for Chromebook; click on it or visit this link.
4. Here, click on the Get it on Google Play Store button.
5. After that, a prompt will pop up. Here, select Google Play Store and click on the Open button.
6. Now, it will redirect you to the Google Play Store Opera installation page. Click on the Install button to get it on your Chromebook.
7. Once the installation is finished, you can find the Opera icon in your app launcher. Click on the icon to launch Opera and start browsing the web.
2. From the Google Play Store
You can directly install the latest version of Opera for Chromebook from the Google Play Store by following these steps:
1. Click on the App Launcher icon.
2. Locate the Google Play Store and open it.
3. Once the Play Store is open, use the search bar at the top to search for Opera Browser.
4. From the search results, select the Opera browser and click on the Install button.
5. Once the installation is complete, you are ready to use it.
Pin Opera Browser on Chromebook Shelf
For quick and easy access with just a click, you can pin Opera Browser to the Chromebook Shelf. To pin Opera on your Chromebook Shelf, follow the steps below:
1. Open the Opera Browser from the App Launcher.
2. Now, on the shelf, you will find the icon of the application that you have pinned, as well as the icon of currently running applications.
3. Here, look for the Opera icon, right-click on it, and select the Pin option from the menu that appears.
4. Now, even if you close the app, you will still have the Opera icon on the Shelf. By using it, you can quickly open it.
How to Make Opera the Default Browser on a Chromebook
The Opera Browser on Chromebook is simply the Android version of the browser but optimized for desktop use. Therefore, the interface of the browser will be different from the regular Opera desktop browser. Making Opera the default browser on a Chromebook can still be tricky. However, you have it covered.
Here are the steps you can follow to make Opera Browser the default browser on a Chromebook.
1. Open the Opera Browser.
2. Click on the Profile icon and click on the Gear icon to open the Settings.
3. Then, click on the Browser option.
5. Here, you’ll find the browser settings. To change the default browser on your Chromebook, click on the Default Browser option.
6. After that, you will get a pop-up window. Here, click on the Next button to select the default browser.
7. The Browser App selection window will prompt.
8. Here, select Opera to set it as the default browser on your Chrome OS.
That’s it. This is how you can download and install Opera Browser on your Chromebook and make it the default browser. If you are looking for an alternative browser for your Chromebook, Opera is a feature-rich browser optimized for speed, security features, built-in VPN, or integrated tools, making it a worthy addition to your Chromebook’s app collection.
However, if you have a gaming Chromebook, then you can install Opera GX for Chromebook, specially designed for gaming. If you have any doubts regarding the installation, you can let us know in the comment section.